CONSOLIDATION, RESTORATION AND RESTORATION WORKS OF THE CRYPT OF THE CATHEDRAL
The Cathedral of Otranto was founded in 1068 and was consecrated on 1 August 1088 during the papacy of Urban II.
The crypt, which winds in the area below the apse, the presbytery and part of the hall, dates back to the 11th century.
It has three semicircular apses and is characterized by forty-eight spans interspersed with over seventy columns, semi-columns and pillars on which consolidation and restoration interventions were necessary.
The peculiarity is in the diversity of the supporting elements, coming from ancient and early medieval buildings, from the various figurative repertoire.
Of great value are the surviving frescoes that span a chronological period from the Middle Ages to the sixteenth century.