Object of the intervention:
COMPLETION OF THE RESTORATION WORKS OF THE BELL TOWER OF THE CATHEDRAL
WORK IN PROGRESS
COMPLETION OF THE RESTORATION WORKS OF THE BELL TOWER OF THE CATHEDRAL OF SAN NICOLA PELLEGRINO
The bell tower of the cathedral of Trani, about 60 meters high, flanks the facade of the temple.
The original design of the bell tower included only the first base and the first two floors decorated with beautiful Romanesque round arch mullioned windows; after an interruption of about a century, the works resumed in 1313, the year in which the construction of the third floor, in the Gothic style, was completed. While the tower was only completed in 1365, as marked in the epigraph kept in the small dome.
In the 50s of the last century the bell tower was subjected to a complete anastylosis (reconstruction of the building obtained by reconstructing original pieces), as it was unsafe and with worrying phenomena of loss of material.
In fact, in 1953 a decree was drafted, with the project to dismantle it entirely due to the significant static instability that afflicted the monument for decades and created problems for the structure itself.
To date, the consolidation, safety and restoration interventions of the bell tower have again become necessary.
–GALLERIA FOTOGRAFICA IN AGGIORNAMENTO–