Object of the intervention:
CONSERVATIVE ARCHITECTURAL RESTORATION AND CONSOLIDATION
CHURCH OF SAN PAOLO EREMITA
The Church of San Paolo Eremita in Brindisi is the oldest evidence of Gothic architecture of the fourteenth century in the provincial area, as evidenced by the pointed arch and the single lancet windows on the right side.
In the first decades of the 1800s, the church, which was in danger, underwent substantial changes, including the “new” facade which, compared to the previous one, was set back about eight meters.
Inside, with a single nave and a truss ceiling dating back to 1505, you can admire the side baroque altars and some fragments of frescoes from the 14th century; as well as many paintings of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries and among these “The Madonna della Concordia”.
The Immaculate Virgin is much venerated, also called the Madonna of the earthquake as she was believed to be miraculous for having given the city escape in the earthquake of 20 February 1743.
Tradition has it that the statue was found at the entrance to the church with open hands (originally joined) to appease the earthquake.
The restoration interventions of the Church of San Paolo Eremita in Brindisi were necessary in order to consolidate the structure and carry out both architectural and conservative restoration operations.